"If you got Soul We hang out with people just like you"
Lynard Skynard
Back to life, back to reality. I know someone famous sang those lyrics too.
When thinking about what we would do with our lives if given the chance to have a fresh start, I started thinking about what we really want out of life vs. what we would/have/will do just so that we look good to other people.
I've just realized more and more how judgemental people can be and how no matter how many times you tell yourself you don't care what other people think...we really do care.
For example, me waitressing at the ripe old age of 33 with 3 small children at home probably seems icky to some people - and I think about that.
Cecelia starting school has added to the list of things to worry about.
I worry about what people think in regards to a lot of things because it seems like it has become the "norm" for people to state their opinion whether you ask for it or not.
I guess I just don't understand why people have to be SO judgemental all the time.
It's almost as if people are offended if you don't do things exactly the way they would. I mean, down to the smallest of things like if you don't feed your kids the same way that they do, or discipline them the same way that they do, or send them to the same school that they send their kids to. And then it goes in to bigger things, like if you don't agree about a political stance the same way they do.
What happened to people just being gratious?
Everywhere I turn it's like "isn't your kid too old for a pacifier?" or "why would you want to live there?"or "you're going to let your kid get away with not eating her peas?" or "you're making your kid eat peas?" or "nice pants, felt like dressing up today, huh?" or "I would let my husband do that!" (these are not all personal examples, just off the top of my head).
It's just crazy that the people who think they've got it so right are the worst ones at judging others. Seriously, last time I checked there was only one judge, and you're not Him, buddy.
I've made it my own personal resolution to put an end to my own judging. It's time to re-focus on myself, what's really important to me, Bill and our family and simply let the rest go.
How's that for a little substance?
4 comments:
It's a Mom thing and we all struggle with it. I would say just in the last year i have really gotten to the point where I honestly, do not care what others think. Does it upset, annoy and piss me off when people say certain things? yes, it does. But... I do not change my way of doing things based on what others think or say. You will do what feels right for you and for your family. Hang in there!
Alright, I am picking up the phone and calling you as I type...love you!
You go girl! Believe me, if I could quite "imagining" in my head all the judgements people have about me I would be much happier...
Love you.
I guess I forgot to post since we emailed each other, but as you know, I support YOU and YOUR choices.
You are a fabulous mom, friend, wife, and daughter...oh and sister!
Don't forget that.
Post a Comment