Bill and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary on Sunday and as I was laying in bed I started thinking about how our relationship and our lives have changed SO much in that time.
Of course, I had the perfect blog post in my head at the time, but now can only remember the main point:
I feel that now a days it is so easy for us to give in. Whether it be with our spouse or with our children, it just seems so prevalent.
Even though I have a million wonderful things to say about my husband I'd be lying if I said we didn't have difficult moments, or whole days go by without really talking, or even times when I wonder WHAT THE HECK WE HAVE IN COMMON??
It's so easy to let that wall build up between us and it's work to break it down sometimes - but we do - and it always feels better afterwords.
I don't ever want to be that couple that is married "for the kids" or just stay married but sleep in different bedrooms and lead completely different lives. What's the point of that?
It's the same thing with our kids. It can be beyond exhausting sometimes just to get through a day.
It would be so much easier to just let them act like wild goats - but you can't - and it pays off.
The point is that you have to keep fighting the fight.
Give that hug even if the thought of another person hanging off your body gives you the shivers.
Choose to let the other person be the crab for today.
Speak to your child when she is acting up in public.
Repeat yourself for the millionth time.
As hard as it is - if you want to have a real marriage and children who others can tolerate then fight the fight.
5 comments:
Wow!! Great post!!! Happy Anniversary to two of my favorite oldies!
Amen sister! Happy Anniversary by the way!
Again, I love this post
I so needed to read these words tonight after days of power struggles in my own house (with children ranging from 3-10, just in case you're wondering.) I've been thinking about this a lot lately. But I LOVE the way you put it, Fight the fight. THANK YOU!
You inspire me. Fight the fight...I need that reminder often. Thanks!
Post a Comment