Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Speaking of Christmas Cards

I was serious in that last post, in case you were wondering. I really am not sending out cards this year. It's for no other reason than the fact that I just plain ran out of time. Oh well. There's always next year.

I was over hearing a conversation today about people who send out Christmas letters and if the recipient really cares about them. I personally do not send out a letter, but I love getting them. I totally understand why people do it. It's a good way to let loved ones know what's going on in your life when you don't really have the time to update them throughout the year.
I guess the only thing that bugs me (and it really bugs me) is when there are typos or poor grammer or wierd wording. Now, I get that I probably have quite a few issues with this blog - but I'm also not sending it out to over 100 people to read and I write in it all the time. If you're going to send out one letter all year - please have someone proof read it. Just saying.
Another thing that bugs people is when the letter is a brag fest about their life. For example: "and little Johnny is the smartest kid on the planet - we're so proud!"
Like I said, I love getting the letters and I don't really look in to them too much in that way.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

5 comments:

TBRKO said...

Oh AJ...I just read this morning two horribly written letters. All I want is some BASIC grammar usage! Proper use of a sentence, commas, and apostrophes. When I am unsure, I reword it until I don't have to use it.
That being said, I screw up everytime! :)

Unknown said...

So true! Just hit spell check, have someone proof read for you, and cover your year with nostalgia not bragging.

Hampton Park Daycare said...

Are you talking about me? lol

Sarah said...

I totally sent mine this morning AFTER spellcheck and AFTER a proofreader, with a spelling error. Crap.

oh well. :)

ABCDH said...

Clearly we all make mistakes - if any of you are a Seinfeld fan do you remember the Christmas card with Elaine's nipple showing? hahaha