Friday, March 2, 2012

Talking About Daycare Again

Sometimes I don't really understand what the role of daycare provider means to people. I guess I always assumed that parents enrolled their children in daycare so that they can go to work.
However, lately I have noticed a trend of more and more parents putting their kids in daycare when they aren't working and just staying at home.
I understand the importance of socializing your child. I enrolled all my girls in preschool so that they could learn how to get along with other kids their age and take instruction from someone other than their parent.
If you are a stay-at-home parent why would you want to send your child to someone else's house all day everyday? Why wouldn't you find fun things to do with your child yourself?
Some of the parents also have their own kids every other weekend. I have heard over and over again from these parents who have their own children for "their" weekend with them complain (as they're dropping their child off at my house for 9 hours) that they didn't get a break from their kid(s) and how hard it is.
Does this make sense? It does not make any sense to me. I take care of my own kids - plus other people's kids - 7 days a week. They do not go to another house during the week or every other weekend. I am the last person who needs to hear that because you spent two days with your own child that you need a break.
Really?!?
Is this just how things are? Is daycare more than what I thought it was?
I feel so bad for these kids and am glad that I am able to provide a home-away-from-home environment for them.

2 comments:

TBRKO said...

I'm wondering if as parents (moms) working outside of the home has become more of a norm, so does the feeling of entitlement to use extra daycare time for quiet time for said working mom?
I am guilty of dropping my kids off for an hour or two to workout. And I also have been guilty of leaving them there longer to get some errands done.
I read your blog and am reminded that I need to not take this for granted or ever count on it.

ABCDH said...

Parents can do whatever the heck they want, really. They are paying me to watch their kids so what do I care if you work out, grab coffee, get your hair done, etc, etc. I'm talking about parents that don't work. At all.