Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Anything But Boring


I was out with some single friends a few weeks back enjoying the conversation about their exciting trips coming up - skiing in Tahoe, backpacking through Spain, lying on the beach in the Bahamas. There was talk of a brand new BMW. I had little to add to the conversation, but enjoyed the chat about something other than diapers and breastfeeding.
I came home and Bill asked if I had fun. I told him I had, but felt that my life was just so boring. I put on my cut off sweat pants and called it a night.
Over the next couple of days I started to evaluate my life a little bit. Between strained peas and time-outs I saw my life for what it was.
Life, for me, is about watching Cecelia draw pictures of us with eyes, body, hair and all. It's about having her standing next to me in the mirror mimicking every gesture and begging for lipstick too. It's about Delaney crawling, on all fours mind you, across my living room at a mere 7 months old. It's about two naked bodies sharing a bath. It's about the roaring belly laugh that only Cecelia can get Delaney to produce. And at the end of the day it's about a big pair of brown eyes and an even bigger pair of blue eyes growing tired and coming to a close while I watch my baby girls fall asleep.
It's about having Bill come home every night and the comfort of knowing that Mr. Right sleeps right next to me.
If you ask me today about my life I will tell you this, it is anything, but boring.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you want me to cry my eyes out in my cubicle??

The Process said...

Love that you have a blog now AJ. You're growing two girls, that's a tough job and at the end of the day, you have way more to show for yourself that a lot of people.

TBRKO said...

Love it AJ! This is so fun to read! I hope that we can all communicate on this less 'surfacy' level for a long time. You are so lucky to have a beautiful family!
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Boy if that doesn't put things into prospective...I think many of us need to reflect on what's important - it's too easy to get caught up in the day to day "stuff" and you can easily forget.

Thanx AJ - Amy

Anonymous said...

It must be that time of year that it is easy to feel sorry for ones self and wish that we had something more or different than we do. I had one of those days today, and before I read this didn't put it all into perspective. Hormones, poopy diapers, temper tantrums, and reading the same book 10 times or more a day does this to a person sometimes! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and letting us know that we are not alone. Soon enough I will be wishing that I had just 1 of these days back when my teenager won't give me 60 seconds of her time!

Anonymous said...

Ok sorry, I forgot to put my name-thanks AJ-I'm anonymous from 6:40 today! Kami

Anonymous said...

you brought tears to my eyes and shivers down my spine. you are a beautiful writer and a wonderful mother. i love you and am honored to be your friend. love ya teet

Anonymous said...

You put what mother's cherish everyday into perfect words. I've done the fabulous vacations and bought wonderfully expensive things but nothing compares to the complete joy of looking into your child's eyes and watching them grow. As said on Oprah just yesterday "If you are the type of mother that is creative and gives the day to your children, then being a mother is the single most challanging job one can do." It was interesting to hear the working mothers vs. the stay-at-home moms and it was agreed upon that being at home with your children is a long and exhasting day but the most rewarding challenge one can face. As long as you balance yourself with adult interaction and allow yourself to take the time to do what is important to you (mind puzzles, a side job, being creative, being social, etc.) you will survive. AJ, you are an excellent mother and your girls are so blessed to have you home with them.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

What a great story and so true-
I love you! Dad

Anonymous said...

AJ - so cool. You are such a great person and a great mom. So lucky! Miss and love you
Jess

Anonymous said...

I am writing this with tears in my eyes. Not only am I glad A.J. that you sleep next to Mr. Right, I'm glad my son sleeps next to Mrs. Right!!
What a tremendous amount of maturity to appreciate and be thankful for what you have.
I couldn't ask for a better wife and mother for my son and granddaughters. Love, Nancy "Nanny"

Anonymous said...

I finally got around to reading your "boring" email. You have the gift of writing. First, I cried when I read your account of your life. But when I read the comment from your mother-in-law, I bawled my eyes out!! Since I have spent a ton of time as a witness to your mothering, I can definitely attest to what everyone else has already commented on. You put your whole heart into loving your girls. As Charlotte wrote in her web, "terrific." Yep, that about sums you up as a mother.

Anonymous said...

AJ- Marilyn read this again and it hit her "mother nerve" what ever that is...must be a woman thing...read Nancy's note...how cool is that coming from another great Mom, huh? Well we love you, Bill and the girls and life is great.. too cool for school...
Love Dad and Marilyn