I love to talk to certain mom friends of mine who are really honest about what it's like raising kids. I had a lengthy conversation with my cousin the other day and we kept saying "I am so glad you said that!"
Let's face it, once your kids reach a certain age it becomes more and more difficult to use what I call the kindergarten teacher tone. When my four year old is being anything but cooperative, or my soon to be two year old is going in to a complete meltdown I find myself wanting to throw something (or someone) out the window! I say that figuratively, of course, but that's how I feel and I use that phrase quite a bit. I don't say it to my children, but I say it behind their backs when I'm venting to someone who completely understands.
If I didn't have you other moms out there to talk to, relate to, vent to and share and compare with I would probably feel like the biggest failure alive. You make me feel normal to be normal. I am not perfect - not by a long shot - and it makes me feel so much better when another mom starts a conversation by saying "you want to know my bad mom moment today?"
We love our kids so much and we all want to be so perfect but we are only human and if we weren't flawed atleast from time to time we mine as well be stepford wives.
Give yourself a pat on the back for doing your best and even toast yourself to an adult beverage tonight (that is, if you're not currently carrying a load like yours truly).
Goooooooooooooo Moms!!
4 comments:
A good quote:
There is no way to be a perfect mom but a million ways to be a good one
I am highly recommending the book: Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott. Its a quick read and I remember, even in college, as I read it, thinking . . . she is so freakin' real about parenting!
She talks about her sons hands looking like little stars in one paragraph and then her desire to figuratively throw him down the stairs because he won't stop crying, in the next.
It's definitely a breath of fresh air
I hear you AJ. There are some days when I have so much patience and others when I have none. I lose my temper more than I should. And, yes, I do it with my kids. We can't always be happy, calm, and guiding.
I just had this conversation with my Best Friend today... Somedays I feel like I do a really good job, other days, not so much. It's nice to know we're not alone!
Ha! You know where I am coming from! I would not have made it this far if you have not been there to vent to. You are honest and helpful. Other moms need that. It ALWAYS feels good to know that I am not the only one that is about to lose it sometimes. Good thing they are cute, huh? lol
Post a Comment