Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Weight & Lifestyle

For full disclosure, this is in no way a "you should" or "how to" post, but more of a "this is just me."

About this time last year I took off the last 20 pounds of my pregnancy weight. I mean, I wasn't going to bother in between children when I was just going to gain it back again!
I do, on occasion, get questioned about my frame. So, I thought I would share just a couple of things that have helped me feel good in spite of bearing 3 children in 5 years and also getting older.

1) Good genes. This is important for me to say because I really do feel that this is a HUGE factor in your body type and how easily a person can gain/lose weight.

2) I almost am always either standing or walking. If I was stuck behind a desk like I used to be every day this would not be possible. I would suggest atleast trying to stand as often as you can even if you are stuck in front of a computer all day.

3) Play w/ your kids. Tossing them in the air, playing tag, chasing them around the park, etc. If you can keep up you are in good shape. Also, I am usually pushing a stroller when out and about. If you are not in this category then perhaps ankle and wrist weights would be the same?

4) 1 diet coke a day (usually). They say it contributes to belly fat which is where I gain my weight. I also drink beer and I'd rather allow myself 1 pop a day vs. 1 beer. I mean, duh.

5) Meal portion control. I eat one sandwich at lunch vs. two. I portion my food on my plate and only have seconds of the fruit and veg. I also stick to water w/ my meals instead of pop or whatever. I do the same w/ dessert - it's all about size for me - like 3 oreos or 1 giant chocolate chip bar. Also, when I eat chips I put them in a bowl, but that's mostly because I don't want greasy hands from reaching to the bottom of the bag :)

6) My newest favorite thing to do is eat a salad before each meal. Not just any salad, a spinach salad with strawberries, feta cheese and Annie's organic "Goddess" dressing. You will L.O.V.E it!!

7) Own a scale. Before we got our scale last year I was very, very, very anti scale. I figured weight was just a number and it was more about how your clothes fit. But, after having a broken scale last month for 2 weeks and instantly gaining about 6 pounds I realized a scale keeps you in check.

8) Last thing (that I can think of) is that I wear a swimsuit almost every day during the summer. If that doesn't motivate a girl, I don't know what will.

So, take it or leave it, those are sort of my tricks. Now, if there was only a way to magically erase loose belly skin...........

3 comments:

TBRKO said...

Okay I am shocked that you converted to DIET coke!?!?! Wow. I remember your addiction to sugar coke..the good old "classic" kind.
All good points AJ. Keep it up! You look fabulous. :)

Unknown said...

Agreed!

Erin said...

An inspiring post. I've slacked off ever since we got back from Vegas...gotta get back to it!