Friday, June 24, 2011

Step Stool

Last night I got up in the night to use the bathroom. Everywhere you go there's some sort of obstacle - like the step stool in the bathroom. I'm so used to it I can walk around it even in the dark.
I thought for a moment about how wierd it will be when the step stools and drawer locks and door knob covers are gone.
Then I had this image of Cecelia when she was about 1 1/2 climbing up on the step stool for the first few times to get her hair brushed or teeth brushed.
The emotions took over me like a wave. A huge, suffocating wave.

I don't know WHY I get these feelings of nastalgia so bad. There's so much guilt about how I have taken them for granted, or wished away the "hard" ages.
I had this split second of thinking I should have another child, but I know in reality that's not going to happen. And, that child would also grow up.

Thank God I still have many, many, many years with my children at home.

Today is supposed to be the first nice day in I-don't-know how long and I plan to savor every minute of it.

1 comment:

Kris said...

awww....good point. Love and miss you. :)