My baby brother, David, is somewhere en route from Texas to come visit us in the cold midwest. He recently ended his duty as a full time active Army sergeant and is now officially civilian status again.
David spent a year serving as an Army medic in Iraq and got to come home before Christmas rolled around this year.
I cannot put in to words the relief I felt when I heard he had landed on U.S. soil for good. The picture you see is him taking off the tattered and torn yellow ribbon that I had tied to my tree out front. This ribbon represented our support and faith that he would return home safely. We actually even had to move the ribbon from our old house to our new one. We tied it on the first day we moved in, faithfully.
Many people don't agree with the war in Iraq and understandibly so. However, I have said on more than one occasion that you can hate the war, but not the warriors. These men and women are brave, but also human. If you are scared sitting on your couch at home watching the news, imagine the fear that they had to endure while sitting in that God forsaken desert.
David has seen and experienced things that we will never understand or relate to. It's a good thing he has his Army family for that.
I want to take this opportunity to say thank you. Thank you David. Thank you Ronnie. Thank you to my dearly loved and missed Joshua. Thank you all.
I support my troops.