Thursday, May 14, 2009

Snap

That's what happens to me when I get angry. I snap. It's like there's a switch that gets flipped and all my patience and reason get locked up in a dark corner somewhere. I hate it.

For example: during lunch today Delaney was crawling on the table to reach a washcloth I was using for Laila instead of sitting nicely and knocked over her entire cup of milk all over herself, the table, chair and floor.

Now, I do not get upset over spilled milk, but was does upset me is that it got spilled because she was screwing around at the lunch table.

I cleaned up the milk and asked her to take her pants off, and then asked again, and then again and then again and she just stood there saying no and crying.

I snapped.

I brough her in her room and pulled her pants off and tossed her in her bed. I gave her the look of death and said that if she starts to scream and wake up her baby sister I was going to be really angry.

After a few minutes she started calling out my name so I went back in there to talk and explain why she was sitting in her room instead of eating lunch. She said sorry, we hugged and she came back out to join the group.

I have such guilt over these types of things. I swear I read these blogs from these perfect moms out there who never say anything except how their children are just so wonderful and perfect and I wonder: am I doing something wrong here???

I mean, I really would rather keep my blog as positive as possible. I remind myself that the reason I started this blog was just to keep friends and family involved in our life.

But, darn it, sometimes life just isn't pretty around here.

So any of you ever snap? Do you snap over little things? How do you keep yourself from erupting if you aren't a snapper?

I really want to know.

9 comments:

TBRKO said...

Well since I feel like I have written my share of horror stories, I think you know that I fully support what you wrote. We are HUMAN. Kids are HUMAN.
I have always had a difficult time with people who talk about their perfect life. It's fake. Sorry, but no one has perfect kids.
I feel like I must have the worst kids, the worst patience (some days), and so I totally get how you feel. One thing that we probably do that our parents didn't do is explain WHY we snapped, that we are sorry we lost our temper, but sometimes that just happens.
Sending you a virtual, online, blogger hug!

jenny said...

i snap. i'll admit it.

i think that we all have our breaking points and sometimes it takes some of us longer to get to that point...but we've all been there. you're not abnormal.

many times those crappy moments or bad days don't get blogged about because i just don't have the energy to hash it all out again unless i'm 'in the moment' you know?

hang in there girl!

Clare Marie said...

You and I are 'special' moms...we tell it like it is. That is why I love you. Because I know that you have lost your patience at times like I have. Instead of feeling like monsters to people we love the most, we feel human. I couldnt feel as 'human' as I do, if it werent for you.
You are a GREAT and EXCELLENT LOVING mother to your girls. No matter how mad we get, we know that we have a good mommy friendship to compare notes. You know my number....Vent it out baby! :)

Clare Marie said...

One more thing....I'll keep my cool until Wyatt has horns coming out of his head. lol

Unknown said...

Not here. We are perfect. No anger, no stomping, no yelling, no spanking when deserved (BTW I was never going to spank) Not at the Tortorice's. We are always cool, calm, and collected...love you!

Kris said...

I hear ya!!! Lucy is my angel but holy god help me if some days it takes everything in me not to "snap". As you know, I'm not a "snappy" person by nature but kids will do that to you. You are a great mommy and I love that you are so honest about both the good and bad.

Love and miss you!

simplicity said...

I totally can snap. And I feel like it totally depends on the day. One day, something might not bother me a bit but another day the same situation sends me over the edge. You are not alone.

Erin said...

Wow. Are you sure you weren't writing about me?? I am infamous for snapping--I completely lose my temper over the littlest things when I'm tired, stressed, or just plain irritated. The really bad part is I'm also a yeller when I snap, and my kids are getting all too used to a few choice swear words (I hate to admit that, but it's the truth). It was actually comforting to read that someone else deals with the same frustrations I do. Thanks for your honesty, AJ.

Anonymous said...

First off, can I remind you that you have three . . . THREE children?! I think that you're totally normal and that you are a fantastic mom, hands down!