Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Re-Acclimating




It's funny how being gone for as little as two nights can create such a shift in the house. Children are such creatures of habit and structure that it makes it hard to even want to go away sometimes.
It's hard for me too because every day I'm home there is a string of usual to-do's like picking up all the rooms, going through the mail, organizing school stuff, checking voicemails, returning phone calls, laundry, dishes, etc, etc. And even though everything looks pretty much exactly the same from day to day there's actually quite a bit that goes on that's under the radar.
And even though Bill does a great job of keeping things as orderly as possible, there's still an extra amount of organizing once I get home.
I wish I could snap my fingers and all this stuff would be done for me so I could spend more time just hanging out with my kids.
I feel like it's such a struggle to balance quality time - or being present as I like to say - with "getting stuff done." I mean, someone has to keep things in some semblance of order.
The kids don't get it either. I'm trying to hurry up and do 50 million things so that we can do something fun together and 3 little people are constantly under foot asking for help with this and how do you spell that and can I put this on and crying because the big toy doesn't fit in the little toy and I need a wipe and is it snack time and I'm thirsty and she's hitting me and that's not her's it's mine and on and on and on.......
All I need is a block of time with no interruption and things would go so much faster!
One thing that helps is the fact that the girls totally crack me up during the day. Cecelia is now old enough to have a sense of humor that is actually funny. Delaney simply never stops talking and it's just funny to hear her ramble on and on about this or that. Laila will come up and just shove her head in to me and hang on to my leg as I try and walk around.
I really do think that they're the ones who keep me on track and balance out the work and the play.
The day to day grind can get tough, but then I get a little break, come home, re-acclimate and try and focus on how amazing my kids are.


3 comments:

Kris said...

I'm sure the girls missed you too but you definitley deserve some time away. Especially to spend time with YOUR momma.

Love you. Have a happy thanksgiving and give hugs and kisses to the girls from me and Lucy!

Sarah said...

Best. Grins. Ever. Such lovely ladies!

Erin said...

OMG. I could have written that post. I ALWAYS feel torn when I'm at home between getting stuff done and just being with the kids. What's so frustrating is there's hardly ever a feeling of accomplishment: the dishes, laundry, toys, mail, papers...none of that stuff is ever "finished." Great post!