Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy 2010

My Mom was in for the New Year and I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate! Thanks, Mom, for coming to see us - we love you!! (I would post the picture of her holding the guitar from our new Guitar Hero game if I thought she wouldn't kill me).
And now we're back to reality.

I want to post about how overwhelmed I feel with a hectic work schedule, Christmas decorations to put away, a birthday party and children who are on the verge of being sold to the circus, but I'm not going to start the year off that way.

So, I'm going to ask a sort of taboo question to you all which is: how much money do you spend on groceries a week?
I know we're not supposed to talk about money but I'm curious if I'm spending too much. Typically, I make a full menu plan including breakfast, lunch and dinner (I am at home so lunches are here everyday vs. school lunches for some of you, etc) and I spend about $150 a week. I try and use coupons, but I don't usually shop around because I don't have time to go to 5 stores.
Do you think I'm on target or am I spending more than I should?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it depends on what you're buying, really. Our grocery bill breaks down like this:
$40 weekly to our CSA (which is our vegetable share, and where we get most of our produce)
$30-60 weekly to the grocery store (eggs, milk, bread, staples)
$20-30 weekly to the butcher (because it's cheaper there, the meat is better quality, and the kids get a sucker when we go in)

Yup, I do stop at 3 places to get our food every week.

So, we fluctuate between $90 and $130 weekly. I don't usually bring coupons with me, but I do try and plan our meals along with what's in season/on sale at the grocery store (and we sortof have to use the vegetables we get in our CSA box)... and buying what's on sales helps a ton. We also buy our eggs and milk at a gas station near our house when we fill up the cars, because we save like 5 or 6 bucks on milk and eggs every week there, and its high-quality stuff.

ABCDH said...

Sarah - weren't we supposed to get the girls together on the 30th? Ce la vie. We hope to see Paige on Saturday though!
I wonder if I should be buying my milk at your gas station?? We go through roughly 4-6 gallons a week.

Unknown said...

Okay I spend roughly $150 every two weeks and buy my meat, produce, and milk in one location. But we do buy atleast 3 more gallons of milk in between trips.

I only buy things on sale. I am not a brand buyer (except for Peanut Butter-which I always buy on sale too). I take the ad with me and follow it as I go. That is what I plan my meals around. I also buy Erik and my lunches for the week too but we also go out usually once to break up the week.

If meat is on sale I buy bulk-esp beef or pork since they tend to be more expensive. We cook dinner and breakfast every day. Lunches are on the weekend.

I don't think there is a perfect amount, I think if what you spend seems to be the average focus on that.

When do you want us to come down for a weekend? Maybe fondue again? Anthony has been asking for Cece-what about Superbowl weekend? I could take Mon off and Erik is laid off until April (just seasonal)...now that seems like an idea.