I sent my mom a link to a dress that I am considering buying to attend a couple of weddings I have coming up. (I haven't bought a new dress in years. Like pre-children years.)
At any rate, she responded (in part) that "black after 5:00 is the rule, I think."
It got me to thinking more about the role women play in other women's lives. It seems that this generation looks more to our side - at the women walking next to us - more than we do to the generations before us.
Now, more than ever, it seems like our mothers and grandmothers generations are not as relatable.
Sometimes I wish I could be more like my own Mom and Grandma. They both have so much poise and grace. I mean, don't get me wrong, my Mom taught me how to throw a football and my Grandma would probably still be riding a snowmobile if she had one. It's just that when it comes to certain social etiquette things have shifted a little.
There are some things that are just simply ingrained in me, like dressing up for church and when you travel. But then there are some things that are different, like my expectations for my husband in terms of running a household and raising our children.
I think it would be SO cool to sit down with a multi-generational group of women to really talk about where women are right now. I'd love to hear the thoughts and possible criticisms of the women who have walked before us. I would also love to pick their brains about what it was like to be a woman (or Mom) 10-20-30-40-50 years ago.
Someone should set that up.
2 comments:
Good post AJ. I would say that your mother is the epitome of grace and class. Always has been that Claire!
My husband and I talk about this a lot too how the role of even mothers and stay at home moms has evolved over the years too. How it used to mean one thing (cooking, cleaning, sewing...) and now it's a lot different, you know?
Post a Comment