Friday, September 24, 2010

Self Observations and Questions for You

36 days until Florida. Heck yes I'm counting.

I realized that I am going to be 35 in a month. I mean, I knew it all along, but suddenly I realized I am really, for reals, an actual adult/woman.
So, in honor of myself (yeah, I'm that narcissistic), I would share some things about turning 35 - for me.

1) If I haven't been a "morning person" by now I never will be.

2) I do not like being told what to do, in any capacity. Not even "ideas" or "suggestions" go over well with me.

3) I get the whole: I still feel 21: thing. I still feel 21, but only better. I don't look better, but I have the confidence to pull it off.

That's it for today.

Now on to my questions.....

First question: If you are at a friend's house, or daycare, who gets the final say in rules and consequences?
My answer (but I want your thoughts) is that House Rules. Meaning, you have to follow the rules of the house you're in. There are obvious exceptions, like you can't spank my kid or anything, but generally speaking I think that's the best way to be invited back anywhere.

Second question: How much freedom do you give your children in helping themselves to food and drink in the kitchen?
How I do it (but I think I'm too strict): My kids have to ask for stuff - except for a drink of water or milk. They have to ask for snacks and treats and special drinks like lemonade. As of right now, they are not allowed to just dig through the fridge and grab a yogurt, or help themselves to an entire sleeve of crackers from the pantry.
I'm thinking that seems a little prison-like.

Thoughts??

4 comments:

TBRKO said...

I totally get you AJ. I don't feel as old as I am...most of the time. And I would agree that I have more confidence now to try new things or just say screw it.
As for #1 I agree with you. UNLESS my kid is being naughty and the other parent tries not to make a big deal out of it. Then my rules of apologizing, sharing, or whatever apply.
Kate was (sort of) scolded once (as she told me) for saying "Oh my gosh" in a house. That's their house rule...so I said then now you know.
As for #2....I am pretty lax. If I hear them sneaking something--which happens all.the.time, I may say no or no more. Then again, I tend not to have too much crap around. And, a lot of times, they still ask.
If supper just ended 30 minutes ago, I defintely say no way...

Getting back to me said...

Isabelle has to ask for a snack. Though, I don't think it would even occur to her to just get a snack without asking. She's apparently used to be waited on. I'm usually pretty lax with the snacks as long as it's cheese, yogurt, or fruit.

Erin said...

1--House Rules, I agree. My children need to learn that different adults have different expectations, and we should respect them and their homes.

2--In our house, I encourage the kids to help themselves if it's snack time or they are hungry (provided a reasonable amount of time has passed since the last meal). My rationale is this: kids know when they are hungry or not, and most of the time, if they say they are, they are. And if you're hungry, you should get to satisfy that hunger. Now, with that, my children have also had to learn that just because they're watching TV in the den doesn't mean that's a meal time. We're still working on that. More often than not they still ask for a snack, and they definitely want me to get it. Sometimes I'll ask back, "Do you want something sweet or salty (or not sweet)?" This helps narrow down the options instead of providing a litany of every potential snack item in the house. While it's not perfect, this approach generally works for us.

simplicity said...

Both questions, I would answer the exact same way you did! House rules go and kids ask for things in the kitchen.