Friday, December 14, 2007

Purity Ball

I just came across this event today called the Purity Ball. Basically, it is an event for Fathers to make vows to their daughters in reference to the purity of mind, body and spirit. The focus can be skewed slightly (and very easily) to lean more towards the daughters' virginity and not much else.
At first I thought it was wierd and cult-ish. However, the more I read on the more I liked the basic idea of Fathers showing their daughters how to be treated by men and what to expect from their future husbands.
I do believe that a father's role in the life of his daughter will affect almost every aspect of who she will be - especially when it comes to how she demands to be treated by boys and men.
I should probably take the opportunity to say how proud and lucky I feel to have a husband who loves, respects and protects his daughters (even at this young age). I always knew that Bill was tender, caring and patient with me. I never thought about how that would translate to our children. I can't imagine a better father for my girls. Truly, they - we - are so blessed.
Now, here is the "covenent" the fathers recite at the purity ball.
Tell me what you really think.
I, (daughter’s name)'s father, choose before God to cover my daughter as her authority and protection in the area of purity. I will be pure in my own life as a man, husband and father. I will be a man of integrity and accountability as I lead, guide and pray over my daughter and as the high priest in my home. This covering will be used by God to influence generations to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does sound a little cultish but I see your point. It is kind of a sweet gesture. I think about the affect Dominic will have on Lucy almost on a daily basis and can only hope that the other men in her life will teach her how she should expect to be treated when she grows up. You and the girls are so lucky to have Bill.
Kris