Monday, February 4, 2008

Arizona Bound

Bill and I are taking our annual trip to attend his company's annual meeting this weekend. We're flying to Scottsdale, AZ Thursday late afternoon and won't be back until Sunday.
The girls will be in very good hands while we are gone, but it doesn't make my anxiety of leaving subside all that much. I can't really put my finger on the exact reason why I get so uptight. I think it's all the little things rolled up in to one big WORRY. There's the "rules": keeping gates shut, no climbing on furniture, no rough wresting (especially near corners of walls and hard table legs), keeping bathroom doors shut, etc, etc. Then there's the "meal planning": This and that for breakfast (not to forget fruits and veggies), this and that for lunch, dinner, snacks, meal times, where to find cups/spoons/bibs, etc, etc. We have "Laney language 101": Peese (please); could mean all done, more and you have to ask to be sure, Hungee/rubbing tummy (hungry), mook/hand pumping (milk), and so on and so forth. "Routine": bed times, teeth brushing (not to mention where to find toothbrush, who's is who's, etc, etc). But, the biggest of all, "Where's Mommy and Daddy?": The fear that Delaney (not too much Cecelia at this point) will wonder if we are gone for good. Luckily, we have what we call telecommunication or more commonly referred to as the telephone. I hope that hearing our voices will reassure them that we are very much still around and miss them very much! And one more last completely irrational fear of something happening to both Bill and I while traveling. The likelyhood of this happening is zilch, I know, but the thought still crosses my mind.
So, today, not only am I packing for the trip (because it's the only day I have time to do it) but I will also be typing up my overly excessive "How To" manual for our very generous, very kind, and very giving caretakers.
Man, I'm a freak.

2 comments:

The Process said...

Nathan and I haven't done our first overnight away (although each day it sounds more appealing) but I can only imagine how hard it must feel even if you trust the people taking care of your little women.

I must say, that I love the rule about "rough wrestling", so funny!

I hope that once you get on that plane, you are able to put your fears aside and enjoy the warm sun, being poolside and time alone with Bill (minus the conference).

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who leaves "over extensive" lists and has anxiety about leaving-even though you know they get extra good care! It's that "catch 22" thing-some days you just want to get away and then when you have the chance you don't want to go! Have a wonderful and much deserved time away.
Kami