The camera is still not working (I guess that means I have to bring it in to get looked at - like who has time??). Anyway, you'll just have to suffer through my words alone for now.
This last week was fairly uneventful aside from a few observations and events.
Bill and I went to see Juno on Sunday. I think I would have been better off seeing it before all the hype, but we definitely enjoyed it none the less and I would watch it again for sure.
I went back to the restaurant after a 2 week break from serving and decided I have never shared my thoughts on that whole thing since I started this blogging business.
I really like my Saturday nights because it gets me out of the house and in to a fun environment and also provides a nice extra little bit of cash every week. I wouldn't want to do it anymore than my one night a week, though. The hours are long and I think it would take the fun out of it.
But before I let this topic go I would like to point out that I obviously make my money off of tips from the customers. There are quite a few people who work there that live off of their serving job alone (which I did for years in college!). My theory on tipping is as follows: Tip on service. If your server sucks, so does their tip. If their service is so-so or excellent, so should be their tip. A "good" tip is 15%. That is typical. A tip that we are grateful for is 20%. Anything over that will make your servers whole night. If you are in a big group you need to either let your server know ahead of time that you want seperate checks or just be a grown up and split the bill with your friends and/or family. I mean, is it really going to kill you if you end up buying Aunt Susie's cosmopolitan? If your food sucks it is not your servers fault and you should not deduct from your tip. If the manager or establishment takes something off of your bill you should still tip as if you had the full bill - after all, your server did still bring it out to you, back to the kitchen, etc, etc. Lastly, if you are sitting at a table for 3 hours but don't have a large bill you should tip extra for taking up a space that could have been filled at least once or twice by more paying/tipping customers.
There! My own personal tipping guide. And, since this is my blog these are obviously my opinions and you are always welcome to agree or disagree.
I have so much more to touch on - like Cecelia's need to ask a million questions lately and Delaney's desire to comb her hair with her fork, but since I took up more time than I thought on the whole waitress thing I'll have to get back to you.
1 comment:
Amen! I couldn't agree more. I miss my serving days... I learned some important life lessons about work ethic and customer service while working at Chili's in Fargo... I was also having the time of my life and I don't think taking up serving again could ever be the same. However, I will always have a tremendous respect for servers. And, when they suck, you better believe I let them know.
Post a Comment