Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Speaking of Professions

Well, not really here on my blog, but to sort of branch off of Bonnie's recent post on her career I decided to touch on what it is that I do on a day to day basis.

As you know, I run an in-home daycare in my house. The children that I care for are sweet, smart, funny and extremely well behaved. The only children I really have to get after are my own - go figure.

I know for a fact that a lot of people think that my job isn't really "work." They wonder how hard it can actually be and why I charge so much money for doing it.
There really isn't enough space here to get in to how much "work" I do during the work week. I care for anywhere from 4 to 7 children at once, depending on the day.
There is constant need throughout the entire day by all age groups.
Contrary to some popular belief, I do not just sit around and hang out while the kids take care of themselves. We have a constant rotation on the changing table, in the cribs and in the highchair. There are art projects (this list alone could go on forever!), stories to be read, learning to be done, loving to be gived and received, refereeing, and just over all taking care of. Add to that getting all children dressed right for going outside to play - that's real fun.

In addition, this is also a small business. My house and the toys in it must be looking good and in working condition at all times. I sweep my kitchen floor 3 times a day. My dishwasher runs at least once a day, if not twice. Beds must be made. Fresh sheets in pack and plays and rest mats. The driveway must be shoveled and the entryway free of shoes/coats/hats/mittens.
There is also always a stack of toys that are in need of new batteries (have you looked at how much batteries cost???). Paper runs out, ink runs out, markers run out, glue runs out, chalk gets broken, etc, etc.
In order to keep my business licensed and in good standing I must also attend 8 to 16 hours of continuing education (4 hours of CPR this Saturday thankyouverymuch). We have social workers and food program supervisors as well as a green light from the fire marshall.

I am not a glorified babysitter.

And as if running this business wasn't hard enough you throw in sick children coming to daycare and infecting my home and everyone in it. People who forget to pay on time (could you imagine going to work on payday and your boss saying "sorry, forgot your paycheck, maybe I'll remember in a day or two". I'm sorry, but how am I supposed to plan ahead and keep a budget that way?). I've had parents curse at me because I was unable to watch their child on a day that they don't normally come to daycare. Children come without necessary clothing or milk. Families wait until last minute to tell me they won't be here....

I really don't want to go on and on because, truth be told, there are frustrating parts to every job. It's just that I've been wanting to post about my job for a long time to let people know that I take my job seriously and would just appreciate a little respect for taking care of the MOST IMPORTANT THING(S) IN THEIR LIFE - their children.

And as far as the money part goes. Trust me, I am not getting rich off of my families. I have never raised my rates and feel that the tuition that I charge is fair. You will find another daycare that charges more and then another that charges less. But basing who takes care of your children off of tuition alone is not a good idea, if you ask me.

And as a side note I want to say that some of my daycare mommies and daddies read this blog. Forgive me for mixing our working relationship with our friendship. I would be devastated if I lost any of my families due to some sort of conflict.

6 comments:

Clare Marie said...

I am with you AJ and respect that you are honest and liberating of what this job really consists of. I think because we are looked down on because we are at home with our children. People think we sit at home and eat bon bons all day. On top of our own, taking care of other peoples children is hard because we also are daycare providers not Nannies either. We will respect how parents raise their kids, but in managing several kids that way is not an always an opinion which can cause conflict. We run a business also, so having to enforce rules and polices are all us. If you ask me, we don't get paid enough concidering alone the germs...yuk!

TBRKO said...

Wow AJ I am sad that you feel like people don't respect your job. I am even more sad if people really don't. What idiots! Caring for our own kids is difficult. Throw into that mix other kids, their family rules (or lack thereof), and you have an entirely new thing going on.
We need more daycare providers like you on this earth. I commend you for doing it, and furthermore, I applaud you for doing it with love and care AND pride:)

Jenay said...

I feel for you, i really do. One of my very dear friends/neighbor runs a daycare and it has really opened my eyes to how difficult some parents can be... I will refrain from listing examples as I am sure you have heard it all. I commend you AJ....

Sarah said...

For the record:

AJ, we are delighted at how well our daughter(s) are cared for at your house. You open up your home every day -- rain or shine -- whether or not the rest of your house is ready for it. If you've been up all night with a baby: you're at work, just like me. The only difference is, if my house is a pig-sty, I get to drive away and not think about it for 9 hours.

You -- and every daycare provider we've used -- do a hard and selfless thing, and not one I honestly could do. Children are treasures, and daycare providers, teachers, tutors -- none of their salaries are really commensurate with the service they provide.

You are right; everyone's job has hard parts. I just want you to know that while we don't always say it, our family appreciates you -- even (and especially!) when you have to send a sick baby back home to us, or remind my husband to remember a coat, discuss diaper choices, etc. I can't imagine it's easy - but I know you are doing it because you care about each child you invest your days with.

I hope you've never felt unappreciated by us. We're so thankful for your care.

ABCDH said...

Sarah-

You and Dave are really a couple of the best/most fun parents I've had the pleasure working with!
I've been doing daycare now for close to 5 years so many of my examples and/or frustrations have been from the past.

Now, how about changing your mind and keeping Alice here forever???

Erin said...

AJ, I've been thinking about your post for several days trying to decide how to frame my comments. First, I admire childcare providers like you tremendously--it's a challenging, exhausting, fast-paced, never-get-a-minute-to-sit-down job. The hours are long, and the vacations are only paid if you build that into your business (I have known some who do and some who don't).

Second, as an early childhood teacher educator, I prepare my students to be childcare providers, preschool teachers, and early elementary teachers. I am proud to say that the majority of my students are highly motivated, dedicated individuals who know they have chosen a career path that will not be widely respected or financially rewarding--and they pursue it anyway because it is their passion.

So--to all you moms and dads out there, take a moment to thank your childcare provider. The National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) celebrates Week of the Young Child every April. This is a perfect opportunity to recognize children, providers, and teachers. Check out their website www.naeyc.org for great ways to honor AJ and those like her.