I've been meaning to do this post for a while now and am finally getting around to remembering.
The question I have is: What is a staple menu item for your family?
I feel like I tend to rotate the same menu around and around and am looking for new and easy menu ideas from you all.
I'll start with some of the meals I serve atleast once a month:
Spaghetti
Burgers on the grill
Chicken and rice
Ham steak
Every meal is served with 2 sides of veggies and fruit.
One recent suggestion was salmon. I may have to add that to this months menu.
What are your ideas?
14 comments:
Fajitas is a good one or tacos...you can let everyone put together their own fixings. :)
Whenever I see a ham steak I think of you.
Tacos - good one.
A great marinade that's super easy for salmon is brown sugar, olive oil, garlic, paprika (takes out the fishy smell) and soy sauce. Throw the salmon and the marinade in a ziploc and put it in the fridge for a bit to marinade. Totally good and super flexible in terms of amounts of each ingredient.
English muffin pizzas are great when we don't feel like spending a lot of time for dinner and kids can make their own.
Chili or other soups are sweet because they make in big batches and then we throw the remainder in ziplocs for the freezer. Easy to serve with some bread and a salad.
Tonight I just put some shredded steamed chicken with plain yogurt, a tablespoon of mayo, nectarines, apples, raisins and almonds (what we had in the house) and threw it over salad with avocados. Great for the summer and super easy!
Just a few staples from and ideas from the Nordlunds but there's always more if you want actual recipes : )
We eat a lot of stir-fry, especially in the summer, because both of the kids like rice and little chicken pieces and it's a good way to get some veggies in there.
A family favorite at our house is brinner -- breakfast for dinner. Pancakes or french toast, or a quiche or even scrambled eggs or omlettes. the great thing about that is they are fast and easy.
Yes, yes, yes. Great ideas.
Here are some of the many regulars:
tacos
sloppy joes
pancakes/french toast & sausage
taco hotdish
baked ziti *one of the few they ALL eat
spaghetti
tuna hotdish (they all like this a lot)
shrimp (frozen out of a box)
in the summer we grill a lot, but since the kids have early baseball, that hasn't happened so much
Occasionally I will do:
meatloaf
baked chicken
parmesian chicken or any variation of chicken
pork chops in the oven
chili
I am ALWAYS looking for ideas too. Ryan is the best eater. Kate complains a lot, and Olivia just won't eat a lot. The girls won't really do rice or couscous, but like I said, any and all ideas are welcome from this gal too.
It's funny that you have more than one "hotdish" in your menu because it reminds me of when we first met Rick and he had no idea what a "hotdish" was.
What's in your taco and tuna hotdish?
Tuna hotdish is straight from the box. Impressive huh? It's Tuna Helper Tuna Tetrazinni. Jeanne and Wayne fed me that. It's actually really good.
The taco hotdish is (gasp!) homeade.
The bottom is a layer of crescent rolls. You bake that for 10 minutes at 350. Then you layer the 1lb of cooked taco meat, crushed up taco doritos, lettuce (which I leave out sometimes b/c Kate and Olivia won't eat it), and shredded cheese. You could add anything else. I think the original recipe called for nacho cheese soup, but I am not a big cheese person. Then you cover and bake for 30ish minutes. I think I pour some milk over it to keep it moistened. I have done black olives too.
For us, when I do cook, it's tacos, tuna tetrazzini, chili in the crockpot, or sometimes just corn on the cob, salad, and applesauce.
What are ways you get your kids to eat veggies? What are some of your two sides of veggies you serve at each meal?
I really LOVE this post....I have NO ideas but I am stealing them all! Love ya! I'll call you tomorrow!
tacos, chili, chicken and rice or pasta, lasagna, ravioli, pork chops and rice or pasta, grilled cheese and pasta salad (like a chicken salad, yum!)
i can't believe i missed this post. Here are the Pruse favorites:
Tacos
Enchiladas
taco salads with the tortilla bowls
Spaghetti
Pancakes/Sausage
Buffalo Chicken wraps
Supreme Nachos (can you tell we like Mexican)
I just saw today that the pioneer woman launched a recipe site that totally rocks!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/
Burgers
Chili dogs
Crispy Chicken Salad/Honey Mustard
Sanne loves veggies but I'm afraid that will change as she gets older. For us, it's all about eating whatever we are eating . . since she was tiny so she's used to trying new things. Hope she doesn't turn into a picky eater as she ages so we're just thankful for now : )
But ways that we have convinced her for veggies she wasn't so sure about is "dips" And any kind of dip . . even balsamic vinagrette worked once!
She also loved veggies when they are steamed with butter and salt (who doesn't?!) and peeled edemame in the frozen aisle is great b/c it's kind of like peas but with a ton of protein.
Post a Comment