Friday, October 23, 2009

On Being Sick

Obviously I would prefer if my children NEVER got sick, and for right now it's not a concern (knocking on wood). But in some ways it's almost easier to take care of a sick child than to take care of healthy children when it's me who's battling a little something.
Headache, body ache, chills, and extreme fatigue along with complete lack of motivation.
This week has sucked because I don't feel well.
Every little thing feels like climbing Mt. Everest. Making lunch, changing a diaper, bringing the kids to school, carrying Laila (who feels like she weighs 5,000 lbs). I hate feeling this way.
On weeks like this they really would be better off at a daycare or something with other kids and someone who's got the energy to do the day to day stuff and maybe some fun activities as well.
My poor kids are stuck here with me.
Although, I did explain to Cecelia (who's off from school today) that when I was a kid I had to entertain myself - gasp! And that I didn't have an entire basement filled with toys or two little sisters. I had my room, a couple of barbies, my brothers (who had no interest in playing barbies with me) and my imagination. Surprisingly, she actually sat and let it soak in and found something to do (color).
Sometimes being such a GO GO GO kind of Mom isn't always the best. Maybe this week has taught me that my kids certainly have the capability to find fun things to do at home, all on their own.
I still wish I felt better, though.

4 comments:

TBRKO said...

Awesome post AJ. The reality is that moms who stay at home don't have the luxury to bring their kids to daycare when they are sick.
I am so sorry you aren't feeling well. I agree on the entertaining themselves thing. My parents didn't play half as many games with me as I do with my kids...we just had to fend for ourselves.

Unknown said...

I hope you feel better! This is a great post, well said. Kids these days are so stinkin' spoiled and EXPECT to be entertained all the time non-stop.

Kris said...

Oh darn, you too?!? Sorry you're not feeling well.

Take care honey!

Erin said...

I hope you're feeling better, AJ. Being sick when you've got kids home SUCKS. There's no other word for it.