Before you have children children, your dogs are your children. We have two. Two big ones. Big everything. Big lovers, big wagging tails, big kisses, big loyal companions and also, big pains in our neck. I can't imagine life without them.
I admit, they have become second class citizens in our home ever since Cecelia came in to our lives. My lap, which once held a 70lb dog, now prefers to be dog hair free for the actual children in our home.
Having said this, they are still a part of our family and we love them dearly.
My german shepherd, Haley, has always been my problem child. I've had her for nearly 10 years and she's had more visits to the vet than I care to remember. I have probably spent thousands of dollars fixing broken nails, eyes, ears, etc. The poor dog even had to wear a cone around her head - on more than one occasion. But, you grind your teeth, take care of it, and move on.
Now, in just the past few months she seems to have aged another 10 years. Her body is paper thin, she can't hear a thing and she can't seem to make it outside before her bladder gives out. This has been a source of deep sadness for me in the last few weeks. How can one decide when the quality of life for a beloved family member is not good enough??
Haley will go in to see the vet on Saturday morning. Of course, my power of positive thinking and hope is that we can beef her up and figure out a way to add a few more years to her life. The worst possible case scenerio is that she is deteriorating and simply will not get better.
So please, send a little prayer up to doggie heaven for my baby born in my heart. It's going to be a trying time for us.
2 comments:
OH, poor little Haley! I remember picking that little runt out of a litter of bigger, more agressive puppies. We just couldn't resist the little scrappy one with the sweet eyes. God, I can't believe it's been almost ten years!! As the mommy of two frustrating, annoying, messy, yet so cute and loveable little ones myself, I understand the strong connection that exists - even though "they're just dogs". Dominic, Lola, Farley, and I will all say lots of prayers for Haley and hope for the best.
Oh AJ, that's awful! Will definitely be saying some prayers!
Post a Comment