We had to let our girl go last night. These pictures are from yesterday afternoon. I am still sort of confused that she's gone. Last night was, by far, one of the most devastating things I have ever had to do. Yes, I have suffered greater losses, but I have never had to choose to let someone go.
This beautiful baby of mine fought like hell, and we did everything we could for her. Her body simply betrayed her. We came to find out that in less than two weeks she had dropped yet another four pounds. She was unable to walk and Bill, my Saint, carried her around in a blanket like a baby so she could go outside or get some food and water.
I feel blessed that I got to be there for her and her passing was very serene and quick. I held her in my arms and let her lay her soft furry head in my lap. It is the greatest and last show of love I gave to her. I miss her already and will struggle for a while, I assume. Thank you all for understanding that she was not "just a dog", but a true companion who was my biggest fan, and I hers.
8 comments:
I thought of you all last night and all today. I know Haley was your girl. She went through everything with you. I know how important pets are. When you are sad it seems like they know it the most. My heart goes out to you. I watched as my companion Tilly, my cat growing up, took her last weak breath during the same procedure. You did everything you could, I know you did, but it still will take time. Give Sandy lots of hugs, you both will need them! Love you girl!
You are such a good dog mom. I stood by and watched you do everything in your power to make Haley's life better. Haley is in a wonderful place. She can run again, play with the ball, and sleep next to you in your bed. I am here for you no matter what you need. I love you and will miss Haley very much!
Oh AJ, I'm so sorry. I have some tears for Haley and for you. There is something so hard about having an animal you love, be in pain and I'm glad you made the decision you did. It sounds like it was the best thing you could have done for her.
Thinking about you and sending my love.
Barbara
Life is like a movie. And once the movie is over, you get to rewind back to your favorite parts again and again. I'm guessing Haley is swimming right about now, in a cool lake on a bright sunny day, and planning her next attack on that green tennis ball that she's been chasing for years! I'll never forget the great times I had with Haley and thank you for letting me be a part of her life too! She is one-in-a-million and I will always admire her and thank her for taking care of you and your family. Love you lots, Jim
So sorry to hear that you had to choose to let Haley go, but like others have already said she is happy and healthier now. She was a great dog, I'm a little afraid of big dogs, but I was never once scared of her, she was like a big stuffed animal you just wanted to hug. I will be thinking of all of you. Kami
Well, I can't even imagine going through that with one of mine. I would have fought as hard as I possibly could have too. When one of mine go I'm sure I'll have to be committed. But like every one said she is better. I had to go through the carrying and such with my sisters dog and it is very hard to see them be that helpless. So she will be better and its ok to miss her because they teach you a lot and make you laugh a lot and I'm sure have taught you something valuable! If you ever need a dog fix you can always come to my house- we have 6!
I am so sorry and am thinking of you all - I know how deep those feelings can run for a pet...there will always be a small hole in your heart, but you have Sandy to help you heal...Amy
AJ- Just read about Haley and am so very sorry...she was a great friend and companion for you and your family...she reminded me so much of Lizzie-so sweet and loving.
Am thinking of you and love you! DAD
Post a Comment