I pulled Laila's bassinet out of my bedroom today.
Every transition is so bittersweet with children. On the one hand you are so sad to move on, but on the other hand there is something fun and exciting and new to look forward to.
I can't believe my baby is sleeping (quite well thankyouverymuch) in her own room in her own crib. I will hear her wake up during the night and coo at her mobile before she cries to be fed. In the morning I will peek in and see her rolling around, sticking her feet in the air, taking in her bedroom.
My heart is full.
It got me to thinking about those very first moments when your child is born. I will never forget the birth of my girls and how exciting and scary and special they all were.
I wonder, what is your favorite memory of those first moments with your child(ren)?
I would love to hear.
3 comments:
All of my first moments with Lucy are quite a blur but one of my favorites that I remember from those first weeks wss rocking her in her room. We sang (ok, I sang) "you are my sunshine" every night before bed until she was about one and she lost patience for my tone deaf notes. I think every day about those precious days when she was so little and needed me for everything. I miss them but love the little person she has become too.
Looking back, nursing is my favorite memory. Kate used to reach up and play with my hair or her own. I loved watching it. With Olivia, she was/is the only child that I could successfully nurse while lying down at night. I loved feeling like she was right up against me, almost like still inside of me. There is just something so sweet, natural, and soothing about a baby cuddling with you for some food.
I am sad that Ryan and I didn't gel when it came to nursing. What I loved most with him was when he was just a tiny little 5 lb infant. When we would feed him a bottle, his eyebrows would go up. It was so precious.
By the way, I have told Thad that he has five weeks to win the lottery so we can cancel his big "V" appointment and have a few more...
My favorite thing is the first cry. With having to have a c-section, I don't get to see my babies come out. So when I first hear them cry, it is very emotional. It really defines giving life to another human being. Since I can't have babies the "natural" way, I do what is most natural, breastfeeding. It has been challenging, but the most rewarding for me and my baby. The babies are always so grateful, and it feels good to be able to provide in such a way. It is also so intimate and personal. I look forward to it with my next.
However, letting go of a bassinet, nursing, the bottle, the pacifier and etc is always a hard transition, but always seems to work out better. Definately bittersweet.
Post a Comment