I've already spoken to most of you about this issue, but there are some of you who's opinion I haven't received yet.
The deal is with Cecelia's preschool class/teacher.
A few weeks ago Cecelia started telling me about group time-outs in her class.
Keep in mind that she is only there for 2 1/2 hours 3 times a week.
The time-outs consist of having to either put their heads down, or lay on their backs with the lights off.
I asked CeCe's teacher about it 2 weeks ago and she basically said that when the entire class is getting out of hand that's the technique that they use to get them to calm down. I asked if my child was causing a disruptance and she said no. I also asked if the individuals who are causing the problem are addressed and she said that, yes, they are to sit in a chair with the group instead of running around the climber room or sitting on the floor, etc.
Now yesterday when I went to pick up Cecelia and her friend they both told me right away that they had another group time-out in the climber room because kids were fighting over toys. The girls said that the teacher yelled at them to "get on your backs!" and turned the lights off. Then, while they were lying there the teacher allegedly kept saying "if you're not quiet you're going to have to lay there longer"...over and over again.
Lastly, Cecelia informed me that both teachers were not in the room with them - only the one teacher.
Generally speaking, I feel that this type of group punishment is tolerable if it only happens once and a while. It seems to me, however, that this is going on fairly frequently.
Is it just me or does this seem to be a class out of control with a frustrated teacher??
And, why isn't the other teacher in the room? Is it not a law that there has to be a ratio of teachers to students at that age?
My feeling is that there has to be a better way to get control of the class.
Thoughts?????
7 comments:
Well we already discussed this, but I had to say hi. I loved, loved, loved talking with you yesterday. It was just awesome. I know I sound cheesy, but we have way more catching up to do...unfortunately I can't find my cell phone, so maybe you can call me again until I find it.
I still say talk to the director...but I also am curious to see what others say. Also, I will try to ask Olivia's teacher today too.
Well we talked about this...I agree that group punishments should be done only once in a while, but in a calmer and different way than that teacher is doing. I had to do that with a kindergaten class I taught, but it was only for them to quiet down and it work. It wasn't a boot camp situation...geeez! Come on! They are ONLY there for a couple hours, they can't be that whacked out or maybe they should be working somewhere else.
Talk to thier boss and voice your concern that this isn't what you signed up your child for and you know the frustration the teachers must feel, but they need to find other forms of controlling their class. Otherwise...see if you can go somewhere else?
I am probably the wrong person to be commenting on this now. It seems i am in the principal's office weekly dealing with my kindergartner. I think Bonnie is right, you need to speak with the Director. Their young minds are so impressionable right now and telling kids to get on their backs in my opionion is not redirecting their attention or teaching them anything. In Kindergarten a technique that our teachers use to regain control is to say Freeze. Then they all take a big huge deep breath together and roll there arms up. The communication remains positive and it's a quick check to get everybody on the same page again. You know as well as i do that making a group of children lay on the floor is not going to calm them down...I am sure half of them don't even know why they are on the floor!? Seriously, express your concerns to the Director. Keep us posted!
I talked to our director, and she thought that was whacked out. She said it sounded like a teacher who had lost control. She said it's one thing to tell the kids to all be quiet b/c they are all talking, but not to yell.
On another note, YOU are a paying customer here. You have every right to expect a quality product...and they need to know that or you could go elsewhere.
i agree with everyone that's commented. you need to talk to the director about this. it sounds to me like this teacher has lost control or is trying to take the easy way out in dealing with the situation. there are so many other options she could use. good luck. keep us posted.
Always "talk up" I agree, voice your concerns to the director. I think you are worried that you are going to be too controlling if you do so but you are an advocate for your children and I think you'll do a great job voicing your concerns in a respectful way.
Hmm this is a really odd way of handling things at the preschool. I agree that I'd talk to the director and find out what the protocol is supposed to be. We're talking preschoolers here and that's an odd way of trying to teach them to calm down and get order. Hmm.
PS Happy Belated Birthday!
Post a Comment