I promise to post some pictures this week - we've had enough of my boring pictureless posts!
We did have a really nice weekend. Friday night we had Amy and Brad over for pizza night. They hadn't seen Miss Laila B since she was born. And, of course, the older girls were beside themselves with excitement over having company. I think Cecelia drew Amy about 50 pictures while they were here.
Saturday opened up for us so we took advantage of the morning to clean the house and rake up the 100,000,000 leaves in the front yard. Once again, I love the feeling of a job accomplished.
Saturday night we had plans as well, which was nice because it got the kids out of the house to burn some energy.
We did some grocery shopping (NEVER will I go again with the entire family) and rented some movies.
All in all a nice, peaceful and enjoyable weekend.
One thing I did notice, though, over the last week or so is parents who seem to be afraid of their children. Parents who are afraid of their children being "mad at them."
I am, by no means, any judge of perfect parenting but it really drives me nuts when I see parents begging their children to do things - like putting their coats on to leave, for example. I am so cut and dry maybe I could take some tips from these parents. You know, the ones who say "okay, let's put our coat on" (10 times in a row) then "if you put your coat on you get a sucker" (10 times in a row) then "honey, pleeeease put your coat on for mommy".
Hear me on this: You are a parent. You are in charge. Their little brains are not developed enough to think for themselves entirely. And trust me on this: Kids like stucture and routine. No, they do not like mean mommies, but they appreciate firm ones.
Try this next time: When it's time to go give your child the instruction: "Put your coat on, please." If that doesn't work, do the old "If you don't put your coat on I will do it for you." Then follows (immediately) the putting on of the coat.
You should also know that nobody is going to fault you if your child has a tantrum over the ordeal. We are proud of you for sticking to your guns, getting your kids' coat on, and heading out the door.
I truly believe that the more we instill in our children at a young age, the more we'll like them as adults. Once they turn 18, people, your job is done and you have to deal with your own creation.
** Update to original post: Just to reassure you that I am fully aware that my family is a work in progress: As I was vacuuming at 7:20 this morning Cecelia marched down the stairs and said "Why didn't you give me my breakfast before coming down here to vacuum?!?" Yeah, work in progress is right....
3 comments:
Awesome post A.J. I agree fully. Sometimes we are in situations when we don't feel like we can be quite so firm, but ultimately, we are in charge.
It's never an easy job to be a parent, but we all have to support each other....
This drives me nuts also. BE A PARENT PEOPLE!!!!! I don't know everything about parenting(pretty close though ha-ha, but you are NOT a friend, you are a parent! Get that though your skull! ahhh that feels better to vent lol
Great post! Too bad your plans fell through this weekend :)
Amen sister! A great post. What parent is driving you crazy is what I what to know :)...
Post a Comment