Thursday, January 27, 2011

Don't Judge Me

Here's the thing Bill and I, literally, decided before we had kids:
They would come into our lives, enrich it, and hold on for the ride.

I really don't get the whole "I'm a totally different person than I was before I had kids" thing.
It's like, uh, no you're not.
I mean, yes, we definitely make different choices.
We definitely have different priorities.
We're definitely too tired to keep up with our old lifestyle.

BUT, it's O.K. to still want to have fun.
It's O.K. to want a night for yourself.
It's O.K. to want a night with your spouse....alone.
It's O.K. get dressed up and go out with your friends.

I feel like there's this hierarchy of motherhood - like the more you "sacrifice" the better parent you are.
So stupid.

If you are one of those people who stops everything once you have kids, great.
Good luck with that.
I am SO not like you.

I'm not going to say that I haven't felt guilty for taking time for myself, or going out and having cocktails with my friends. I have, but I shouldn't.

My point is: enjoy your kids, but enjoy your life too. And don't judge me if you see me at the bar :)

3 comments:

TBRKO said...

Great post AJ. So I don't make it to the bar often, but like you, I like and need my space.
I don't know about you, but sometimes the older I get, the younger I feel...hell not all the time, but I think you know what I mean. :)

Unknown said...

Ooh, there has got to be a good story behind this one. You know I am with you 100% well not right now well I am pregnant but I will be in 24 weeks. I feel like the same person, just better. I still need to have time to myself, some social sanity, and an adult cocktail now and then. Life is too short! Besides when my kids are grown and enjoying their lives I do not plan to be sitting home waiting for them to call knitting. You have to keep living so you have a life when they are on their own.Call me!

simplicity said...

Totally agree. Certain aspects change but that doesn't mean you can't be who you are and live a fun life.

I'm with you!