Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Short and Sweet Version

A brief play-by-play of Laila's labor and delivery is as follows:

Saturday
5:30 p.m.: The four of us were heading over to a BBQ at our friends Amy and Brad's house. As we made some stops on the way there I noticed I was having some contractions. I mentioned it to Bill but didn't want to get my hopes up in case they went away.

8:30 p.m.: Decided to leave the BBQ and head home. Contractions were mild and coming every 15 minutes or so while we were there. I still didn't think too much of it at the time.

9:00 p.m.: The four of us went for a short walk before putting the girls to bed. I was trying to either A) get things moving or B) decide I was in false labor - I figured the walk would be a good indicator.

11:30 p.m.: My aunt arrived at the house to spend the night "just in case". My contractions after the walk were closer to 5-10 minutes apart. I was STILL not sure if I was actually in labor as the contractions were not getting that much more intense.

12:30 p.m.: My aunt went to bed.

12:45 p.m.: I couldn't take the suspense any longer and woke Bill up (who I sent to bed at 10:00) to take me to the hospital just to see if anything was actually happening.

The minute we hit the garage to get in the car - major contraction. All of a sudden, bam, bam, bam - one after another.
I can't tell you how many contractions I had simply from the parking lot up to the maternity ward - they were constant and extremely painful.

1:15 a.m.: After checking in the nurse checked me. 6 cm dialated. Wow.

25 minutes later the anesthesiologist arrives. I'm 8 cm dialated. Basically, too far along for an epidural.

Insert wild, sweating, and screaming woman in intense and excruciating labor here. Not kidding one bit. It was hell on earth.

The anesthesiologist did manage to get me a narcotic to ease the pain, though, thank God!!

By the time he was done with me I was fully dialted and ready to deliver.
Seriously, probably less than an hour after we had arrived. It went VERY fast.

2:28a.m.: LAILA IS BORN!!

I would like to say that I do not like "natural" labor. I relate my experience to a cat delivering a litter - writhing in pain, eyes screwed shut, assuming death is my only option because my body is not equipped to handle the pain.

The only thing that makes it all worth it is, of course, the beautiful and exquisite outcome.

Our baby is here. She's perfect.

I am no longer pregnant and feel like a million bucks.

Thank God it's all over.

5 comments:

TBRKO said...

That is every woman's worst nightmare...so long as she prefers the epidural-which I do. Freaks me out, but at the same time oh so proud of you for doing it. Don't you feel empowered??
Thanks for emailing some pictures too. She is amazing as are you!

Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing, at least she came somewhat fast for you. You are amazing, you somehow still managed to make me laugh during this blog-having a 5 day old baby and no sleep, you rock! kisses to you all.
Kami

Anonymous said...

AJ, nice work! I was able to get a "local epidural" at 8 cm . . . maybe like what you had? Pretty nice.

I can tell you're tired b/c you wrote that at 2 PM she was here and I was wondering was those 13 hours of pushing must have been like! So glad to scroll down to see it was 2 AM!

So amazing that your body (and mind) could get that little lady out, isn't it?!

As much as I hate parts of my body post-baby, I have a lot of respect for it.

I'm proud of you!! Here's to quick healing and lots of delivered meals!

jenny said...

i totally know what you went through. i had 'cramping' all day long (i was 7 weeks early so i wasn't thinking they were contractions). well, to make a long story short - arrived at the hospital @ 930, had my son at 1103. i dialated so fast i had no pain meds/nothing. but he was little so it probably wasn't as bad as it could have been. okay, i'm rambling...sorry!

i'm so glad you got there before she decided to arrive! she's adorable! :)

Clare Marie said...

I am so proud of you and this was tough! You were so great. You were emotional and happy before the baby girl was pushed out! You are such a grateful mother and number 3will golden that! Thanks again for letting me into your experience. Love you! Miss you and the girls already!