This weekend is so bittersweet for me.Everbody knows I love my own birthday! This year, though, it's just not the same.
Rick's birthday is today. One day before mine.
Rick and I had so much fun over the years being eachother's birthday buddy. We had this fun loving competition over who's birthday was better. Of course, he figured he had the better birthday because his came first. I thought mine was better because my came right after his and I got to bask in the glory longer.
When we went to DisneyWorld we had a competition over who got the most birthday buttons - and then - who got the most cool stuff while at Disney because of our birthday buttons.
I have to tell you that Rick beat me, hands down, each year. Not only did he get more buttons, but the cast members at Disney paid more attention to him! He got free ice cream, free pins and during the Main Street Parade at Magic Kingdom Cinderella herself looked right at Rick standing on the curb, smiled and waved and said "Happy Birthday"....right to him!
Even though Rick was such a selfless man, I think he truly enjoyed the attention he got on his special day.
It brings huge tears to my eyes to think he's not here this year. I want to pick up the phone and sing to him. I want to laugh and joke around with him. I want to fight over buttons and ice cream. I want him back.
But since I can't do any of that this year the best I can do is celebrate him in spirit. To tell you all what a special and loved person he was.
Tomorrow I'll light an extra candle on my cake in honor of Rick. We miss him so much.
2 comments:
What a neat story that you two have. You will have to share it each year with your kids to remember him by. And, for me, any story involving Disney World puts an extra smile on my face, because it's my favorite place on earth. Getting to share that with him makes it that much more special!
Happy Birthday!! He may not be "here" but you know darn well he is still trying to make your day special.
Post a Comment