I've been having a little LOVE/HATE relationship with nursing this time around. The biggest part of me absolutely loves it. I love how good it is for my baby (no formula on Earth can compare), I like the ease of it - especially in the middle of the night when she wakes up and all I have to do is nuzzle her up against me to feed her, I love the price - FREE, I love the 500 some calories it takes from me (Okay, that's really selfish!), and I love that closeness it provides for my baby and I.
What I have been frustrated with is having to pump (like, when?!?), timing the feedings in order to eat a meal, have company, leave the house, take care of my other children, I don't like choosing what to wear based on it's accesibility to my "gals", feeding in a dressing room, backseat of a car, patch of grass somewhere, airplane seat or just in a room by myself while everyone else gets to continue their conversation.
I realize these are the sacrifices I have to make to do something for my child that is important to me, it's just that the third time around doesn't seem to be as easy as the first two.

9 comments:
I totally get that AJ. Just like everything else with parenting, it's wonderful sacrifice. Both good and bad. I think it's totally okay to be honest about the inconveniences even if it's something that you cognitively know is something great for you both. Once she starts solids it's going to be so much nicer. I remember just loving the nursing when it wasn't all Sanne had . . . not on a total schedule.
I love the picture! And I agree that nursing is tough, so worth it but tough. Even though Henry never had any issues latching on etc, it was still sometimes hard for me to feel inconvenienced to feed him anywhere, anytime. I liked nursing better though when it was all he had rather than with solids, I had a harder time with that.
I'm looking forward to nursing this little one whenever they make an appearance....hopefully soon?
I hear you, A.J. Isabelle was a nursing addict. She nursed about every 45 minutes to an hour until she was 10 months old. She FINALLY took a bottle at 10 months and then wanted nothing to do with me. I couldn't keep up with the pumping so ended up switching to formula. I cried when I gave her the first bottle of formula. Silly, I know. I was relieved to be done, but at the same time so sad.
Hang in there!
I hear you too AJ. I am going through ALL of the same things you are. I have told Thad that my life is now lived in two to three hour increments. I can't do anything without thinking about the next feeding. I have left Ryan's games early and missed countless other things for it.
I do dread, however, going back to work in a month. I don't pump out much milk, so my supply will dwindle. That makes me sad.
There is nothing, nothing, NOTHING like the feel of your baby against your skin when you are nursing though.
I think God wakes us up night to feed our babies so we can be still, think of nothing else, and just look at them without other noise, kids, husbands, or work.
**Note: I do not like waking at night though*
Between these commemnt there is nothing I can add. It all has been said so well. I only thing I can say also is that I know. It is hard nursing sometimes and I am here for support.
Everyone here completely gets it. I only have one thing to add. Hope is 11 months old today, and my milk supply is almost nil. I think the last few times I nurse will be in the next few days...and more for me than for her. It makes me sad...so even though the more kids you have the harder it is to juggle, savor it as much as you can. It's over all too soon.
BTW, you look so beautiful in this picture, AJ.
Okay, Quit your bitching and give the baby a bottle-TOTALLY kidding. I totally understand, I did love nursing. If anyone needs some milk I still have not dried up?? Frustrating!
That's why I love my Melissa :-))
I actually have been supplementing, which helps. There's just this strange pride thing with nursing.
Oh my God....I can't believe I made it a whole year with one kid! I'm so glad I did it and agree that there is something so rewarding about the bond it creates but now that I know how much work it is, I am so proud that you have nursed THREE babies. Good girl!
Love you.
Post a Comment