Forget about waking at all hours of the night for feedings.
Forget the "Terrible Two's"
Four is frustrating.
Our Cecelia is, and always has been, a very outgoing, energetic and gregarious child. She is funny and quick and all of those wonderful things that come along with being an extrovert.
On the other hand......
Sometimes Bill and I find ourselves at our wit's end with her.
It seems like almost everything is an argument - from eating, to bathing, to what to wear. And, if she doesn't like the outcome we get tears and whining. She has tried the crossing of the arms and stomping of the feet, but after being sent to either time-out or her room that has pretty much stopped.
The other main problem is a little thing called "listening." I seriously feel like a broken record on most days. "Don't bug your sister" "Put the toys away" "Go sit down for lunch" and on and on. Each instruction needs to be said about 10 times before she actually LISTENS.
She will even ask me a question, I will answer her, and then she will ask again and again after being given the answer. She just DOESN'T LISTEN.
At any rate, if anyone has any advise on how to deal with my willful and stubborn little girl, please share!!
3 comments:
Try the book 1-2-3 Magic. The child psychologist we have met with recommended it, and we have had success with it. In a nutshell: you say something: stop doing whatever they shouldn't do, sit down, get dressed, etc. If they don't do it right away, that's a one...and on to a three. If they hit a three, they have a time out the same number as their age. If they protest it, their time is doubled. If they get aggressive, etc, they lose more things: for us it's video games, tv, friends outside, or whatever.
Now, has it solved everything? Hell no, but at least Thad and I discipline the same, it helps us to stay more calm overall.
I have told Kate lately that her arguing and whining and "Nooos" are now automatic threes. That has caused those to decrease a lot. For Ryan, saying shut up, going in my purse without permission, or taking a pop are the automatic threes....
I really need to call you don't I???? Life is so hectic. I am sorry, I will!
No advice, but I hear you! Hayden is already giving it to me and boy, I am not looking forward to four's. I am here to vent :) Love ya!
I agree with Bonnie. We do the 1-2-3 with Isabelle and it works well. We say, "You have until I count to three to do it, then I will do it for you." (Getting in the carseat, sitting at the table, going potty, etc.) She wants to do EVERYTHING by herself so this has lessened our battles quite a bit. Not a cure all by any means but it has made our lives alot easier!
Holly
Post a Comment